Friday, December 05, 2008

My, it's been a while since I've updated my blog. There has been very little about which I can blog right now...that I'd be willing to share with the one-member mass. I was blessed with the opportunity to have a Happy Thanksgiving, even if it was belated. On the Friday night following Thanksgiving Day, I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner that was being held by one of my friends' and his girlfriend's friend at her new apartment. We were pretty excited about this, since none of us did anything special on Thanksgiving Day proper. With convenience and my Costco membership card on our side, we were determined to make the Saturday that was to come an amazing Thanksgiving.

So determined that we all finally convened at around 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon--instead of early in the morning, as had been originally planned--to go on a CostCorrific adventure. :D We had a great time in Costco nonetheless, and we probably would have bought even more if we had had a car at our disposal. Yours Truly Prodigal wanted to buy nearly every little trinket of saccharine goodness harbored in that fine purveyor of foreign products. Thankfully each of us was able to restrain ourselves...though we ended up returning some of the items that we had bought. We thoroughly embarrassed Keith by bellowing out "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music out in the seemingly teen weather.

After a navigational challenge, we found the apartment, and my what a spacious apartment it was! Had I been staying here in Korea for longer than a year, I definitely would have been painstakingly ransacking the internet for a girthier apartment...but this apartment was enough to make an otherwise intransigently "single"-apartment-only person consider bearing the burden of cohabiting with some...other. After a short tour, we headed back out into the puncturing cold to purchase some necessary items that were to help the dinner be an even more successful one--you know, such items as plates and cushions for our delicate asses. :) Being the consumption whore that I am, I spied a pair of Piglet and Winnie the Pooh slippers resting in a basket. Through my powers of influence, I was able to convince Kaitlin (the friend at whose apartment the fabulous dinner was to be had) to buy the other pairs of Winnie the Pooh and Piglet slippers--what facilitated this was the fact that each pair was only about 4000 won (= USD 4 x 10-234 or something).

On the way back to the apartment, there were flurries for all but one or two minutes. It was absolutely amazing for the short time that it lasted, though we had hoped that it would progress to snowfall, making it verisimilitudinous of a typical Thanksgiving Day (based on my image of a typical Thanksgiving Day).

Once back at the apartment, I was able to but my scant cooking experience to good use: I chopped carrots and cucumbers. The next thing you know, I'll be owning Chef Ramsay at life...chucking spade-filled dumplings at him and calling him a mediocre fag. :D Returning to reality...I didn't really do more than chop the carrots and cucumbers, for I socialized and frolicked about the apartment between sporadic yet sexy nose-blowings, tasting the hors d'oeuvres that I had helped make, and Keith's continuous attempts at gallivanting (it was fun harpooning him in his quixotic little heart, though) ㅋㅋㅋ笑ㅋㅋ. Kaitlin's roommate and her friend were pretty nice, and I hope that she'll make a great roommate for Kaitlin.

After a while, we enjoyed a feast of chicken (we had bought three, though we only ate two :/), dressing, gouda, bread, the hors d'oeuvres that weren't consumed, and copious amounts of wine. ^^ It was amazing, and I gave two toasts... dissatisfied with the first one. I was so thankful for having been invited to the dinner. This year thankfully did not pass as another Thanksgiving-less one, thank God. I tried to express this, but I failed at expressing even half of my appreciation. Perhaps it was the fact that we had been talking about abused children and other things for which we weren't actually thankful.

Ramsay, Amanda, and Joo Won arrived at a considerably later time, but that stopped not the merrymaking. Joo Won actually brought a delectable pumpkin cheesecake, and we consumed more wine after a vexing colluctation with the corkscrew on the 마주앙 wine bottle (not the first bottle of the brand to be problematic). From here, we were sprawled across the floor discussing various topics...which included the praiseworthy Failblog.orgz!! I was mostly imbibing what was being talked about--at a steadily decreasing rate, due to my increasing somnolence, which eventually led to a roughly one-hour nap...after which we helped slightly organize the apartment before leaving.

Last Sunday will be angrily censored.

On Tuesday, I was fortunate to have visit my friend Christian's apartment. We're coworkers, and he invited me into his apartment that night to see his [cute] dog and to stay a while. His dog has a beautiful face, and he was considerably inexpensive for a pure-bred dog. Seeing him totally inspired me to get a dog whilst here in Korea. I even went to Dongdaemun in hopes of getting a Miniature Pinscher, something on which I'll be expanding shortly. While I was at my friend's, however, he read my Tarot cards. It was pretty interesting how accurately he told me about myself and interpreted different aspects of my life. I'm a Christian, so I had some reserve at first, but I think that tarot card-reading may serve as some sort of general guidance...especially since your readings can and do change each time. So I felt justified in doing it and in appreciating some of the clarity that came from it.

The next night, I went to Dongdaemun to try to find a Miniature Pinscher, for I was told that that was one of the breeds that was sold there. This is the breed on which my mind was set...so what if it has a proclivity for intermittent barking? That barking can be put under control through proper training. I was told that there is a quality veterinarian who is versed in the English language and located within a reasonable proximity. Of course there were many other factors which I needed to take in mind, but to truncate this paragraph, I'm just going to say that I was unsuccessful at finding any dogs being sold in Dongdaemun. :( What also made me wonder if this new pet was meant to be mine was the fact that my turtle died the next day. :( My poor Periwinkle died. My students said that I should bury it (where?) rather than flush it down to its blissful grave in the sewer, but I refuse to find some place in the ass cold that finely describes the most current weather outside.

Due to the freezing weather outside, I made a cup of plum tea (매실차) for most of the co-workers and staff at work...and that's the most up-to-date that this blog is going to get for right now.


I have pictures from the Thanksgiving dinner, but I haven't uploaded them to my computer yet. Once I upload them to Photobucket in about 29483794837 light years, I'll be sure to post them on here.

No comments: